Thursday, March 22, 2018

Cool Tool #5 Canva


Canva: A true canvas for education.

                For my last cool tool review, I will be reviewing Canva.  Canva is a free tool available online with only a few “pay to play” features.  Broken down, this tool is a presentation application that contains many avenues for creativity.  Probably the most interesting part of this tool is it contains Google Doc like features that allow the user to have as many editors and contributors as they want which I will explain through my use.  Canva allows users to create a social graphic, logo, poster, flyer, resume, web banner, presentation, invitation, card, photo collage, and a few more design types (see picture 1). 
Picture 1


For my review, I chose to create a presentation and before you jump on me and say “well, that’s boring” let me explain my choice.  When I chose my list of cool tools to review I had a master plan.  I am a big lecture guy and I enjoy a teacher centered learning experience so many of the tools I chose to review were presentation tools.  I then used a similar lesson through out all the cool tools, so I could then analyze which tool I enjoyed the most and saw most beneficial.  What I also looked at was the different ways to use these tools to provided new and creative way to present a lesson and engage my students.   
Once I chose to create a presentation, Canva offers many different styles of presentations to choose from (see picture 2).  I selected an education presentation to create an American history lesson. 
Picture 2


                Once the style of presentation is selected, the user is then taken to the editing stage.  For each slide, a background or format may be selected to coincide with the slide’s purpose.  Canva offers a variety of slide layouts which each contain specific elements to present information in the most beneficial way. 
Picture 4


                As the creation process continues, the user can select illustrations and photos that are provided in the Canva database to add to the presentation.  This is the one feature that contains the “pay to play” aspect.
Picture 5


                Once the creation is completed, the user can decide to share their work with specific people through email, through social media, or through the link feature.  The link share option is what contains similar features to Google Docs.  I selected to share my short lesson in this blog, with the option for any viewer to be able to edit it.  This feature has endless applications in the classroom as we have seen with Google Docs. 
Picture 6


                You can check out my creation here: Road to Revolution and you are welcome to try the editing feature right there in my lesson.  Since my cool tool reviews will now be coming to an end, I wanted to share with you what my favorite tool was so far.  My answer: all of them.  Each contained a feature that I could see myself using in my future classrooms.  Emaze, for a new version of PowerPoint.  Haiku Deck, for its innovative way to create presentations from Wiki, which I would use to speed up the creation process and allow students to focus on then learning the information to present.  Storybird, to use as a possible online classroom.  Simplemind, for its simplicity to capture thinking and finally Canva, for its ability to create many materials beyond a simple presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary of Learning - Becoming a Digital Citizen

To help me in my summary of learning, I used Simplemind, a mind map application that assists users to visualize, explain, and organize the...