Sunday, February 11, 2018

Week 3 Reflection - Sharing!


We are back on week three with a very interesting topic: Sharing.

                Today, educators have the ability to share their work and thoughts on any subject with a huge audience with a click of a button.  Every year these technologies grow in number and popularity and deciding which platforms to use is the right question to ask.  As I discussed last week, social media has its place in education and for this week’s topic, it is a perfect fit.  Teachers can simply use Twitter to express ideas and simultaneously explore many other professional’s ideas.  I believe professionals should utilize PLNs not just to consume information but to share as well.  Your ideas through blogs, social media, video blogs, audio blogs such as podcasts, and even Skype can be easily accessed by those who choose to pursue a PLN path. 
                While using all of these gateways to share your ideas, deciding what and what not to share is another critical question.  I truly believe the answer to this depends on the purpose of the user.  For an education professional, simply put, what is shared should be educational and professional.  For a teenager using social media, what is shared can be anything from an opinion to a restaurant review.  Now for both cases and in reality, any case, everyone must be aware that once an idea is shared, it is out there forever.  Everyone has a footprint on the internet that can be traced so using good judgement and following a moral purpose should be aspects that should be followed before sharing.
                In my opinion, face to face sharing is more effective because you now have the opportunity to buy into the person and not just the person ideas.  As I have began my journey in the professional world I have noticed the importance of relationships and face to face connections and I truly believe that interpersonal communication trumps all other methods for effective and meaningful sharing.
            Going back to the question of what to share, I do not see much value in sharing “everything”.  I believe people can share too much and that only dilutes the pool of what is considered valuable sharing.  On the other hand, people that do share everything have a better chance of contributing to a wide variety of topics or answering a variety of questions in one specific topic, but overall I truly believe that there should always be a purpose for what is shared. 
                As far as community engagement, again I believe face to face communication is the most effective.  Parent teacher conferences are definitely an important aspect of this.  I think simply presenting yourself as approachable and friendly goes a very long way in education.  I also believe first impressions play a big part as well, so open house nights are another way I would engage and connect with my community.  These things also play a big part in creating a culture that encourages transparency.  If I can create a connection with my students, their parents, the community, and my co-workers then there is a greater chance for comfortable, trustworthy, and transparent communication.    
            Sharing should have a purpose and those who share in an informal manner, I consider that as social media sharing.  I agree that public writing and media should be formal when used for a professional purpose. That's all for this week! #staytuned

               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary of Learning - Becoming a Digital Citizen

To help me in my summary of learning, I used Simplemind, a mind map application that assists users to visualize, explain, and organize the...