Sunday, April 15, 2018

Week 11 eBooks and Global Publishing


It it nearing the end of the semester and for this week I will be discussing eBooks and Global Publishing.
This week, Dr. Lisa Lenhart stopped by my grad class to teach us more about these subjects.  There are many benefits of using eBooks in the classroom.  Students are able to utilize a variety of cool tools that can help them create an eBook.  In my class on Monday, I used a tool called book creator and a classmate and I created a quick eBook about Greece.  The process is simple, and the great thing is that the created information can reach a large audience with no trouble at all. 
In an article written by Jon Smith, Mr. Smith used eBooks in his classroom and saw the contribution levels of his students greatly increase.  It made the writing process more fluid and collaborative.  I believe when students are able to work collaboratively, they have the opportunity to develop a multitude of skills.  I also believe this eases the pain for teachers in the classroom of trying to get students to participate. 
In the future, I plan to use eBooks as a way for my students to create an online textbook.  It will be completely from the student’s perspective and it won’t just be another dry classroom textbook.  I will have them all contribute a section from a specific lesson or unit and the end product will be a student version of our book that we use in class.  I think the main challenge will be balancing the freedom the students will have when they’re creating and facilitating what information should be added. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary of Learning - Becoming a Digital Citizen

To help me in my summary of learning, I used Simplemind, a mind map application that assists users to visualize, explain, and organize the...